Virtual reality computing (VR) is a huge leap forward in immersing the user in a realistic sensory experience. Hardware and software vendors are working furiously to bring new VR products to the marketplace and the industry is growing at a parabolic rate — according to statista by 2020 the worldwide size of the VR market will be in excess of $40 billion.
The potential uses of virtual reality for business or pleasure are practically limitless, for example:
- 3D movies — watching a movie in 360 degree VR
- Real estate marketing — imagine searching for a new home and being able to take an online VR walk through of an advertised house from the comfort of your desk chair
- Gaming — VR is revolutionizing the gaming industry, with new VR titles being released on an almost weekly basis
- Team-building exercises — shaking up team building events with a group VR experience
- Social media VR interaction — friends will be able to interact in a virtual online space
- Training — VR can inject a much higher degree of realism into training scenarios. Many businesses (such as UPS) are launching new delivery driver training programs using VR.
- Meditation — VR is ideal for customized meditation
VR «escape rooms» and lounges (where groups of people get together to play VR games or go on VR adventures and/or solve group puzzles) are experiencing phenomenal growth. If you are tech savvy and interested in the technology, virtual reality could be the business opportunity for you.